Knaresborough Town: Tommy Brown; James Beaston, Eddie Cass, Gregg Anderson, Phil Milsom; Brad Walker, Lewis Stephens, Ben Parkes (Ewan Gregson), George Thewlis (Rob Guilfoyle), Dom Creamer; Danny Edwards. Subs. (not used): Sam Cook, Alex Marsh.

Emley: Declan Lambton; Sam Pashley, Ross Hardaker (James Eyles), Alex Metcalfe, Charlie Barks, Jack Cowgill, Thomas Haigh (Joe Clegg (Donae Lawrence)), Joseph Kenny (Paul Walker), Ruben Jerome, Iyrwah Gooden, James Walshaw. Sub. (not used): Nathan Curtis.

The opening game of the New Year saw a competitive match with high-flying Emley at Manse Lane where a late goal sent the visitors home with a point, but with more grumbles than many a side has taken from the Town showing a very poor attitude toward their hosts and the officials.

A first minute corner saw Tommy Brown save from James Walshaw’s header before a late tackle from Danny Edwards sent the visitors off on a rant which continued to sour the game.

It was Edwards who opened the scoring in the tenth minute when he slammed home after James Beaston played the ball back across the area after a corner.

Edwards had a second shot saved before Brown was called upon to deny Iyrwah Gooden at the other end.

A free kick from Emley’s Alex Metcalfe then struck the face of the crossbar and was cleared before Jack Cowgill sent the ball wide from a right wing centre.

A late header from the same played then flew wide as the half was extended by seven minutes due to three injuries, two of those suggested by Emley to be time-wasting by the home side!!

The league pace-setters, who have also reached the fourth round of the prestigious FA Vase competition, grew increasing frustrated at their inability to level the score and a yellow card was brandished to the bench area.

James Walshaw of Emley then made a rash challenge as Brown gathered the ball and was sent off, another decision amazingly disputed by Emley whose manager was also dismissed.

Eddie Cass made a great block to keep out a shot from Sam Pashley and Ruben Jerome fired wide when well-placed.

As Emley went for the equaliser, the game became more open and Dom Creamer’s weak effort nearly added to the home tally.

The leveller did arrive in the 88th minute when a misunderstanding in the home defence allowed Jerome to chest the ball home to the delight of the large Emley following.

Knaresborough then almost caught their opponents on two occasions, but delivered the wrong pass at crucial times and it was left to Brown to make a final save to retain the point which was well-earned, even though the West Yorkshire account reads a very different story!

Full Time - Knaresborough Town 1 Emley AFC 1