Knaresborough Town: Tommy Brown; Cole Wildin (Alex Marsh), Eddie Cass, Sam Cook, Harry Lee; Ewan Gregson, Ben Parkes, James Beaston, Brad Walker, Dom Creamer; Danny Edwards. Subs. (not used): Phil Milsom, Aaron White, Alfie Lee, Alex Ingham.

Guiseley: Oliver Battersby; Oliver Brown, Reece Kendall, Luke Mariette, Aiden Walker (Jameel Ible), Josh Ashman, Mikey Afuye, Liam Tonge, Tom Denton (Kallan Murphy), Tom Pratt (Callum Chippendale), Adam Dawson (Jordi Nsaka). Sub. (not used): Sam Walters.


Having defeated Harrogate Railway last week to reach the West Riding County F.A. County Cup semi-final for the first time, Knaresborough Town defied the odds to defeat Guiseley 2-1 and reach the final against either Pontefract Collieries or Wakefield.

Guiseley, two levels higher in the National Pyramid, were on top early on and Tommy Brown saved an early effort before Brad Walker’s shot brought Oliver Battersby into the game.

Brown then saved from Josh Ashman’s header and Liam Tonge fired wide for Guiseley.

Dom Creamer had a shot saved again before Brown denied both Luke Mariette and then Mikey Afuye after a swift break.

The tall striker Tom Denton then headed over for the visitors before the game’s best opening produced a golden chance for Knaresborough when Danny Edwards ran clear on to Brad Walker’s pass only to hammer his shot over the bar.

Within a minute, Guiseley went ahead when Tom Pratt ran through to colly slot past Brown in the 44th minute.

Knaresborough responded immediately and, this time, Edwards slammed the equaliser after Brad Walker’s free kick had been knocked down.

In the second half, Knaresborough seemed to have a deeper belief that the unlikely could happen, but then that hope seemed to wain as the woodwork was struck three times.

Ben Parkes hit a close range shot against the bar from a dangerous Creamer cross from the left, and then James Beaston headed against the crossbar and Creamer’s follow up was cleared from the line.

In the 76th minute, Eddie Cass was next to see the frame save Guiseley when his flick from Ewan Gregson’s corner struck the inside of the back post.

Few in the large crowd thought any other than these misses would come back to bite the home side and when Guiseley pressed late on, there were several close calls, not least when Callum Chippendale’s shot flew back from the bar with six minutes to play.

The crucial move came in the 89th minute when the ball was knocked about on the right before Ewan Gregson controlled and then floated a high cross into the centre of goal. Dom Creamer was unmarked running in from the left, and as the crowd hushed in anticipation, he headed strongly back across Battersby’s dive to the delight of many in the ground.

Five minutes of added time was seen out with relative comfort and Knaresborough were cheered from the pitch after a stunning upset of form against a strong Northern Premier League side.

Full Time - Knaresborough Town 2 Guiseley 1