Penistone Church: Chris Snaith; Edward Newsome (Josh Brown), Jordan Barnett, Jordan Coduri, Ryan Johnson, James Stafford, Danny Howes, Leon Hurles-Brook, Nathan Keightley, Kieron Ryan, Antony Brown (Lennon O’Grady). Subs. (not used): Owen Kelly, Wayne Hughes, Harry Ambler.

Knaresborough Town: Tommy Brown; Elliot Owen, Eddie Cass, Sam Cook, Phil Milsom; Ewan Gregson, Brad Walker, James Beaston, Jack Emmett, Dom Creamer; Danny Edwards (Jake Morrison). Subs. (not used): Harry Lee, Alfie Lee, Cole Wildin, Alex Marsh.


Once again, actually for the sixteenth time in sixteen games, we failed to defeat a Penistone Church team, but this was one of the closest contests as a 1-1 draw on Wednesday evening resulted in Penistone missing out to Albion Sports for the fourth play-off spot in the Premier Division table.

Tommy Brown saved well at the feet of Kieron Ryan early on as the home side went for a quick start, but Ewan Gregson’s shot at the other end was deflected against a post as Knaresborough countered.

A late tackle on Elliot Owen went unpunished by the timid referee who then incurred the wrath of the Knaresborough following when he failed to produce more than a yellow card after a late high challenge by Leon Hurles-Brook on Sam Cook.

The game did settle somewhat after that challenge, but the officials were constantly in the spotlight as the game remained competitive.

Dom Creamer had a cross shot saved by Chris Snaith before Brown was again in action to prevent the dangerous Antony Brown from opening Penistone’s account.

Jack Emmett ended the half with a fine low shot which Snaith managed to tip around the post.

Danny Edwards had a shot saved and then headed over to open the second half and it was Knaresborough who went ahead in the 52nd minute when Elliot Owen reacted quickest after Edwards headed down Gregson’s free kick from the right wing.

Gregson had a chance to add to the score, but Snaith saved and then Brown stopped a shot from Hurles-Brook.

The home side continued to press and the visitors’ defence became more and more desperate to block shots from all angles.

The equaliser did arrive in the 82nd minute when a deflected shot was tipped away by Brown only for Nathan Keightley to slam home into the roof of the net.

As Penistone went for the winner, they left gaps at the back and Brad Walker was wide and Gregson over and, soon after he entered the field as substitute, Jake Morrison hit the side netting.

The scramble of all scrambles then ensued at the other end as several efforts were blocked before Brown saved from Hurles-Brook after an earlier chance had smashed against the left post.

That still left time for Morrison to have the final chance saved by Snaith as the game ended 1-1 and Penistone’s hopes of a fifth place finish were dashed.

Full Time - Penistone Church 1 Knaresborough Town 1