Seaham Red Star: Andrew Hunter; Jordan Patterson, Bryan Taylor, Craig Hennis, Joshua Crews, Garon Garside, Mark Robinson, Joe Hailes, Adam Burnicle, James Robinson, Morgan Dart (Lewis Rutherford). Subs. (not used): Bailey Judson, Max Nelson, Finlay Neary, Joe Innes, Thomas Lawson, Dan Jones. 

Knaresborough Town: Tommy Brown; Sam Kilner, Cole Wildin, Eddie Cass, Phil Milsom; Ewan Gregson (Colin Heath), George Thewlis (Brad Walker), Ben Parkes, Jack Carr, Dom Creamer; Alex Ingham (James Beaston). Sub. (not used): Simon Parkes.

Once again, the Isuzu FA Vase proved to steep a hurdle for a depleted Knaresborough Town side on Saturday as a poor overall showing, coupled with puzzling refereeing, allowed an inferior side in Seaham Red Star to progress to the second round after winning a penalty shoot-out 3-2.

Tommy Brown was the first goalkeeper in action as he denied a shot from Morgan Dart from the left side, but Knaresborough the went into a twelfth minute lead.

A long ball from Brown was knocked to Ewan Gregson who controlled and cut in from the right before firing a dipping shot over Andrew Hunter into goal.

The game then became very fractious as Seaham had two players cautioned as they tried to contain the Knaresborough runners, though the referee saw fit to try to balance the books when he cautioned Jack Carr who had been brought down by a late challenge.

Seaham levelled in the 34th minute when they evaded the offside line, and drew Brown out of position before an inside pass saw Dart fire home into the unguarded net.

Carr then had a shot saved by Hunter and James Robinson was narrowly wide for the home side as the half came to a close.

The game reached a 55th minute boiling point when manager Simon Parkes was shown a straight red card in the dug-out after preventing the taking of a quick throw – this followed a similar action early in the game by Seaham captain, Jordan Patterson, who went unpunished.

Brad Walker shot over from wide right inside the area and Ben Parkes had a shot saved after Dom Creamer’s cross from the left.

Cole Wildin then made a last minute block to deflect a Craig Hennis effort against the post before the second major decision was made by the referee who sent Brown from the field as he came from his area to clear the ball from James Robinson..

Colin Heath took over between the sticks and made his first save from the Joe Hailes free kick.

Seaham then had the best chance of the game to clinch the tie when a fine run from Hennis saw him in front of goal with only Heath to beat, but he somehow managed to hit wide of goal.

In the second minute of added time, Knaresborough thought they had it won as Creamer’s shot from the left took a wicked deflection for a corner and the teams had to settle for penalty kicks.

Knaresborough went first, but their first two takers, Ben Parkes and Brad Walker saw Hunter save tame efforts with Adam Burnicle scoring Seaham’s first, but Mark Robinson hitting the second over the bar.

Jack Carr levelled the score but James Robinson made it 2-1 before Creamer levelled again at 2-2 only for Lewis Rutherford to drag Seaham’s fourth wide of goal.

Eddie Cass then slammed the fifth over the top and it was left to Hailes to convert the final Seaham kick to take them through to a home tie with Irlam.  

Full Time - Seaham Red Star 1 Knaresborough Town 1 (Seaham win 3-2 on penalties)