Silsden: Jacob Rabone; Danny Hunt, Lewis Gardner, Cody Cromack, Jake Cassidy, Adam Clayton, Ellis Hudson, Jake Maltby, Kayle Price, Harry Thompson (Dan Smith), Luke Brooksbank. Subs. (not used): Mo Conteh, Sam Kilner, Arley Barnes, Casey Stewart.

Knaresborough Town: Tommy Brown; Elliot Owen, Cole Wildin, Sam Cook, Harry Lee; Ewan Gregson, Brad Walker (Alex Ingham), James Beaston, George Thewlis (Jack Emmett), Dom Creamer; Danny Edwards. Subs. (not used): Phil Milsom, Alex Marsh, Colin Heath.


For the second time this season, kicks from the penalty mark resulted in Knaresborough’s exit from a cup competition as they went down 5-3 at Silsden on Saturday in the third round of the League Cup.

Early exchanges were matched at both ends, with Knaresborough carrying the lion’s share of the play as they benefited from the strong wind at their backs.

The lead arrived in the 23rd minute when Brad Walker was played forward, but having run past the ball, he turned and beat Jacob Rabone who had advanced to the edge of his area.

Rabone then tipped over from Walker’s next effort, but with chances few and far between, the home side’s best effort came from Luke Brooksbank who shot into the side-netting from close range.

After the break, James Beaston saw his goal-bound shot smack against Danny Edwards on the six yard line, but then the home side drew level in the 56th minute.

Brooksbank was fastest on to a long through ball and fired a fine shot past the onrushing Tommy Brown.

Ewan Gregson was narrowly wide from an Edwards pass and Elliot Owen also shot just off the mark, but as Silsden became frustrated with the referee, Jake Cassidy was sin-binned and a member of the bench shown a red card.

Harry Lee had a fine shot saved by Rabone and, as Knaresborough pushed for the winner, Dom Creamer’s effort was saved by the keeper’s legs and Sam Cook headed over from the resulting corner.

Brooksbank came close to winning the match for Silsden, but he was also just off the target as the game progressed to penalties.

Silsden opened with a success, but Rabone then saved from Danny Edwards.

Silsden were faultless with their following four kicks, meaning that Jack Emmett, Alex Ingham and Dom Creamer scores for the visitors went unrewarded.

Full Time - Silsden AFC 1 Knaresborough Town 1 (Silsden won 5-3 on Penalties)